Washington D.C. Construction Attorney
Joseph L. Katz, ESQ.
I’ve represented stakeholders in the construction industry my entire professional life – call me before the other side does!
“I retained Joe to represent me in construction litigation in Baltimore. Joe developed and argued a summary judgment motion that the judge accepted on all counts. The judge ‘s ruling in my favor ended my stressful litigation with no liability on my part and no need for trial preparation. Prior to submitting that motion, Joe gave me excellent advice on settlement negotiation strategy. In addition to being very effective, Joe was very pleasant to work with. I highly recommend him.”
– Via Avvo
Construction in Maryland is often a full-contact sport, and since my 2005 graduation from the University of Maryland School of Law, I have tenaciously helped hundreds of construction contractors and subcontractors with their legal needs. I regularly consult on government contract administration, and draft and prosecute requests for equitable adjustments and certified claims under the Contract Disputes Act (and Maryland’s equivalent under C.O.M.A.R.) when necessary. I am also experienced in the unique practice of bid protests.
Although the most common claim in construction is for payment after the construction services have already been provided, I have found that it is often the small nuances in contract negotiations before starting a new project that can save thousands of dollars in litigation costs. For that reason, I regularly draft, review, modify and negotiate contracts, subcontracts, and even change orders and releases to ensure my client’s rights are protected.
In addition to my construction sector clients, I have a cadre of other businesses, and some individuals, who have been loyal clients for years. For them, I manage many, if not all, of the legal aspects of their businesses and personal lives. A trusted consigliere, if you will. Call me today to see how I can help you.
Honors & Recognition:
- Selected as a District of Columbia Super Lawyer, Rising Star, Construction Litigation, 2021-20
- Selected as a Maryland Super Lawyer, Rising Star, Construction Litigation, 2021 – 2016
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers, The American Registry, 2021-20
- Rated “Superb” by Avvo in the Construction Attorney Category
- Recognized as a Construction Attorney Expert by Levelset.com
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- Western Dredging Association, Eastern Chapter
- American Bar Association, Construction Litigation Committee
- Maryland State Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Montgomery/Prince George’s County Bar Associations
- Associated Builders & Contractors – Baltimore Metro Chapter, Young Leaders Committee
- American Subcontractors Association, Metro Washington Chapter, Professional’s Council
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 2005, with honors
Areas of Practice:
- State of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals